PE and Sport Premium
PE, Sport & Physical Activity Statement 2021-22
It is a statutory requirement for primary schools to publish, on their school websites, how much PE and sport premium funding they receive, a full breakdown of how they have or will spend the funding, the effect of the premium on pupils’ PE and sports participation and attainment, and how the school will make sure these improvements are sustainable. One of the key purposes of putting information on the school website is to keep parents informed, so this information should be written in a format that is clear and easily accessible.
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following five key indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
How to use the primary PE and sport premium
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer. This means that you should use the premium to:
- Develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers.
- Make improvements to the current teaching of PE that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
For example, you could use your funding to:
• Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers.
• Provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively.
• Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport.
• Support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs.
• Run sport competitions.
• Increase pupils’ participation in the school sports games.
• Run sports activities with other schools.
The PE and sport premium grant cannot be used to employ coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning, preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements or to provide swimming lessons for pupils.